The 91st Academy Awards is only days away, and even though it’s grabbed a few headlines with controversies about host tweets and awards given off air, the real story is who the big winner will already be come Sunday. ARRI.
The 91st #Oscar nominees are in! All Best Cinematography nominees relied on #ARRI cameras to bring their vision to life as well as seven of eight nominated films for Best Picture. #ARRI ALEXA remains a popular camera option for #Oscar-nominated filmmakers to shoot their films . – ARRI on Facebook
From Black Panther to BlackkKlansman, just about every single picture nominated for Best Picture this year, used a variant of the ARRI ALEXA as their main cinema camera. The nominated list breaks down as follows:
- ROMA – ARRI ALEXA 65. Plus Best Director and Cinematography nominee Alfonzo Cuaron.
- GREENBOOK – ARRI ALEXA Mini
- A STAR IS BORN – ARRI ALEXA Mini. Plus Best Cinematography nominee Matthew Libatique. Also note that this is the third best picture nomination in as many remakes, a good story is a good story.
- BLACKKKLANSMAN – ARRICAM LT. To be fair on this one, Oscar nominated director Spike Lee also used Aaton Penelope, Aaton XTR Prod, and the Panavision Millennium XL2.
- VICE: ARRICAM LT, ARRICAM ST, ARRIFLEX 232, ARRIFLEX 435. This one also used a 16mm Bolex. VICE director Adam McKay is also nominated for Best Director
- BLACK PANTHER – ARRI ALEXA XT Plus
- THE FAVOURITE – ARRICAM LT, ARRICAM ST, but also the Panavision Millennium XL2. Plus Best Cinematography nominee Robby Ryan, Best Director Yargos Lanthimos.
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY – ARRI ALEXA 65, ARRI ALEXA SXT ARRIFLEX 35 BL
Additionally, Best Cinematography nominees Caleb Deschanel (Never Look Away) and Lukasz Zal (Cold War) also relied on the ARRI ALEXA XT Plus and ARRI ALEXA XT respectively. Moreover, while RED was shut out of the annual Oscar fest this year, they can at least pop a cork that the Panavision Millennium XL2, which they co-developed, is in the running with 2 nominations.
Additionally, NoFilmSchool took a look at the lenses used and found that Zeiss and Angeniuex lenses were the most popular for Oscar season this year. Cooke lenses look to have taken the bronze. That breakdown is as follows:
- NEVER LOOK AWAY – Zeiss Master Prime
- ROMA – ARRI Prime 65
- GREENBOOK – Leica Summilux-C
- A STAR IS BORN – Angenieux Optima Anamorphic 30-72 & 56-112, Cooke Anamorphic/iSF & Kawa Prominar
- BLACKKKLANSMAN – Zeiss Master pRimes, Panavision Super Speed MKII, Ultra Speed MK II, and PVintage
- VICE – Cooke Anamorphic/i, Todd AI, Zeiss Super Speed, Angenieux HR
- BLACK PANTHER – Panavision Primo
- THE FAVOURITE – Panavision PVintage, Nikon Nikko
- COLD WAR – Cooke S5, Zeiss Ultra Prime, Angeniex Optimo
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY – Hasselblad Prime DNA & Prime 65-S, Cooke Speed Panchro
The takeaway here is that you may not get Oscar without a worthy script and performance, but if you have all that, choosing the right camera platform has traditionally made ARRI the smart money.
The Oscars will be broadcast on ABC Sunday, February 24th starting at 5PM PT.