By James DeRuvo (doddleNEWS)
Firmware updates aren’t always for new features, they can also be about cleaning up the interface and improving existing feature performance. With the URSA Broadcast Camera 5.0.1 firmware update, Blackmagic does a little of both.
Focusing mostly on improving the URSA Broadcast Camera’s support for DNxHD, Camera update 5.0.1 revamps DNxHD 220X and DNxHD 145 interlace recording to so provide a better, more consistent stream. Blackmagic also added Level A support to 3D SDI running through the front and main SDI outputs.
On the software side, Blackmagic has made Windows 10 support better by fixing a driver issue that prevented it from being loaded upon app start up, which would cause issues with importing URSA files into PC based editing systems, plus removing the limitation that only allowed the loading of 3 custom LUTs at a time. Users can now load an unlimited amount.
Total feature improvements in Camera Update 5.0.1:
- Added Level A support for 3G SDI from Front and Main SDI.
- Improved interlaced recording for DNxHD 220X and 145.
- Fixed bug where only 3 custom LUT’s could be loaded.
- Fixed issue preventing driver from loading on Windows 10
Camera Update 5.0.1 does not make any improvements for any other Blackmagic cameras or studio peripherals. Here’s more information on how to install it for URSA Broadcast Camera users:
Minimum system requirements for macOS
- macOS High Sierra 10.13 or better
- macOS Sierra 10.12 or better
- A suitable USB 2.0 port
- Thunderbolt port for UltraScope and Media Express when using Blackmagic Cinema Camera or Blackmagic Production Camera 4K
Minimum system requirements for Windows
- Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
- A suitable USB 2.0 port
- A suitable Thunderbolt port when using Blackmagic Cinema Camera or Blackmagic Production Camera 4K
Installing Blackmagic Camera Utility
Before installing the software on Windows, we recommend that you run “Uninstall Blackmagic Camera Setup” first.
The Blackmagic Camera Installer package installs:
- Blackmagic Camera Setup
- Uninstall Blackmagic Camera Setup
- User Manuals
While installing Camera Update on URSA Mini and URSA Mini Pro you may notice a pause around the 10% mark in the install process, this is normal and will continue installing after around 20 seconds.
After loading the software on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera PL, EF or MFT, you may notice a slight flickering on the built-in LCD screen. This is normal and expected behavior. The flickering will go away after a few minutes of operation.
Also this month, Blackmagic updated the software for Hyperdeck 12G Studio Software, which includes HDR Playback, fixing a Genlock bug, plus general performance and stability updates.
Both firmware updates are available for MacOS and Windows platforms here.