If Virtual Reality and 360° Video is going to gain any traction beyond in narrative filmmaking, sooner or later we’re going to have to see visual effects impacting the VR workflow. To that end, Boris is releasing Mocha VR, as the world’s first plugin’s to bring native 360° tools into your NLE timeline.
“Emerging 360°/VR content creators want to produce Hollywood style visuals and use high-end finishing techniques to make their 360° videos more impactful. However, the equirectangular format brings technical challenges to the artists tasked with delivering high quality deliverables. Mocha VR introduces an efficient, time-saving post-stitch workflow for editors, compositors, and finishing artists.” – Ross Shain, Chief Marketing Officer of Boris FX
Available as a plugin for Adobe Premiere Pro CC, Adobe After Effects CC, Avid Media Composer, The Foundry’s NUKE, and Blackmagic Design Fusion, Mocha VR offers tools for optimized motion tracking, masking, object removal and horizon stabilization. Through these tools, the VR editing workflow can address pesky issues removing cameras and horizontal stabilization without directly impacting the overall 360° image.
“Before Mocha VR, we were using Mocha AE to rotoscope for rig removal in 360° video projects. With Mocha VR, it is so much easier to do this work!” said Daniel Rojas Roa, 3GO Video Time. “Saving time is a priority, so we are most excited about the horizon stabilization and object removal tools.”
Other features of Mocha VR include:
- 360° Planar Tracking: Imagineer’s award-winning planar tracking solution now supports equirectangular footage delivering the world’s most robust 360° tracking solution for post-production.
- 360° Workspace: Optimized workspace and toolset works simultaneously in rectilinear and lat/long views bringing 360° capability to a variety of applications. Editors and artists can easily track, roto, create effects, and insert graphics without worrying about equirectangular seams or distorted pixels.
- 360° Masking Tools: Unlimited X-Spline tools for articulate shape creation and masking, saves hours of time versus traditional keyframing techniques. Roto-masks can be rendered back to host or exported to most editing and compositing systems.
- 360° Object Removal: Mocha’s famous Remove Module now works on 360° video by analyzing temporal frames and removing unwanted camera rigs, shadows, crew members, and more for massive time-savings.
- Horizon Stabilization & Reorient: Designed to reduce unstable motion, the new Reorient Module can drastically improve nausea-inducing VR experiences by smoothing or stabilizing shaky, handheld, and drone captured footage. Driven by robust planar tracking, a user can even track and stabilize difficult and out of focus footage.
- Lens Distort Workflow for 360° Compositing: Plug-in based lens correction workflow converts between lat/long and rectilinear for a simple workflow to add titles, graphics, patches, and non-360 enabled filters to your 360 project.
- Plug-in & Standalone Workflows: Running as a plug-in inside industry standard editing and effects applications Adobe Premiere Pro CC, After Effects CC, Avid Media Composer, and NUKE provides an immediate and accessible workflow for 360°/VR post tasks. Render finished shots to your timeline OR export tracking and roto data in a variety of formats for flexibility and project sharing.
I still remain unconvinced Virtual Reality is much like 3D a few years (and decades) back. But I’m becoming more convinced that with adding tools like Mocha VR, it gives filmmakers the kinds of tools which can move the state of the art towards the goal of making narrative VR more appealing. Only time will tell if that will happen, but it’s certainly worth developing the tools to give it the best chance to succeed.
To purchase, click here [affiliate link].