By James DeRuvo (doddleNEWS)
Just in time for recording the opening of those Yuletide offerings, FiLMiC Pro vs. 6.4 is an app update that brings expanded support to that other gift, under the tree … the iPhone X. Plus some other long overdue tweaks that makes this mobile filmmaking app even better.
v6 continues this tradition by providing filmmakers, newscasters, teachers, vloggers, artists and musicians with the capability to shoot in a true LOG gamma curve. LOG allows for greater tonal range and flexibility in post production setting the iPhone’s capabilities on par with camera equipment costing thousands more. – FiLMiC Pro
Adding additional tools that the OLED Retina screen of the iPhone X can take advantage of, FiLMiC Pro vs. 6.4 now sports a color temperature fill setting that can really let mobile filmmakers dial in the color according to the millions of color shades that the iPhone X offers. There’s also a detailed audio meter setting, recording time remaining function, and a new quality setting.
Users can also connect a Bluetooth microphone to their iPhone now, by merely enabling it in the audio settings. FiLMiC has tested several and found that there is a wide range of results for quality. Their top recommendation is that Apple AirPods can provide the best results.
FiLMiC Pro also has a new Auto Shutter feature, which allows the shooter to set the shutter behavior to match your location’s election power frequency. This gives the smartphone a better chance of recording a more consistent image when tethered to a power cord. Options are found in the settings menu in the frame rate menu, and include “auto,” 50hz and 60hz. I’m sure it’s of advantage somewhere, but my question is, how do you find out your local power frequency? I’ve been living in my home for 13 years and I haven’t a clue!
If you want to add or export multiple clips, now you can select all videos in your FiLMiC library with a long press on the video selection button (gotta love that 3D touch feature). To deselect, just repeat the process.
These new tools join other improvements under version 6 including:
- Dual arc slider controls for adjusting focus and exposure.
- A Live analytics suite incl. Zebra Stripes, Clipping, False Color and Focus Peaking.
- Ramped zoom rocker control.
- Waveform monitor, including in tri-mode histogram.
- White balance adjustment matrix with predefined and custom presets.
- Content Management System for project file naming.
- FiLMiC Sync integration to store preset data in the cloud and share between devices.
- Clip favoriting.
- Batch upload to support share targets.
- Gamma curve controls for Natural, Dynamic, Flat and LOG. †
- Live shadow and highlight adjustments. †
- Live RGB, saturation and vibrance adjustments. †
- Temporal noise reduction up to 1080p resolution. †
So if you’ve been itching to create a short or feature film on your mobile device, but haven’t taken the dive. There’s no time like the week after Christmas to experiment, especially with that new iPhone X that you gave yours… I mean … that Santa brought you for Christmas!