Version 5.0 of Sony’s VENICE Firmware brings some cool new features, including high frame rates of up to 90 frames per second, as well has internal ProRes 4444 without the need of an external recorder. But there’s also some more than 100 other cool new features that are sure to make shooting with the VENICE a lot easier.
Through an ongoing dialogue with cinematographers, we have continued to evolve VENICE to meet the needs of top talent. To date, more than 100 features and episodic productions have been shot on VENICE. The new Version 5.0 firmware will allow the camera to be even more flexible, ultimately increasing its benefit and versatility to all cinematographers. – Neal Manowitz, Sony Americas Deputy President for Imaging Product and Solutions
What’s interesting is that Sony VENICE firmware 4.0 isn’t even out yet, and Sony has listened to professionals beta testing it, getting great suggestions on what to do with firmware 5.0. Though there are over 100 new features coming with Sony VENICE Firmware 5.0, here’s a breakdown of the main feature updates:
- Up to 90fps at 6K 2.39:1 and 72fps at 6K 17:9
- Apple ProRes 4444 – Record HD videos in high picture quality with SxS PRO+, without Sony’s AXS-R7 recorder
- 180 Degree Rotation Monitor Out – Flip and flop images via viewfinder and SDI
- High Resolution Magnification via HD Monitor Out – Existing advanced viewfinder technology for clearer magnification is now extended to HD Monitor Out
- Improved User Marker Settings – Menu updates for easier selection of frame lines on viewfinder
- ACES Support – VENICE has joined Sony’s F65, F55 and F5 in earning the ACES logo, meeting the specifications laid out in the ACES Product Partner Logo Program
The firmware update will be free for existing VENICE Owners. The basic 4.0 update will also be free, and while it includes great features including 120fps 4K at 2.39:1 and 6K at 60fps, those features be a paid upgrade. Version 4 will be coming up in June, but there’s no word on when Version 5 will be released.