UPDATE: GoPro is now making a limited edition ColorWay version of the Hero7 Black, available in “Dusk White.” Same camera, same hyper smooth stabilization, but prettier! It also looks like in the future you’ll be able to wrap it in yellow, blue, white, red, black and pink silicon sleeves to shake things up a bit.
Boldly declaring that “shaky video is dead,” GoPro proclaimed the release of their next generation GoPro Hero7 Black 4K action camera. With a new stand out feature called “HyperSmooth” video, the in camera stabilization promises gimbal like performance without the extra expense of another piece of gear. But that isn’t all that this plucky action camera can do.
“HERO7 Black is the GoPro we’ve all been waiting for,” said GoPro founder, Nick Woodman. “With HyperSmooth video stabilization, HERO7 Black is a camera anyone can use to capture amazingly smooth, professional looking shots of their favorite activities. And they can do it live.”
The main feature of the new Hero7 Black is HyperSmooth, which GoPro says is the best in-camera video stabilization ever featured in any camera. GoPro introduced in camera stabilization last year with the Hero6, but clearly has refined in-camera video stabilization, culminating with HyperSmooth. This new feature digitally dampens out high shock and windy conditions, without artifacting or dropping frames. It’s almost like hyperlapse, but in real time. Check out this video which compares the Hero7 Black with previous GoPro models:
The video footage is impressively smooth, by contrast, but I have a hunch that GoPro tested the Hero7 against a Hero camera before the Hero6 in order to get a more pronounced comparison. Perhaps a Hero5 or Hero4? Anyway, it’s still impressive.
“I’ve had it for a couple of weeks; it is by far the best device they’ve ever mad,” tweeted Casey Neistat this morning. “I have used it in nearly every video i’ve posted over the last couple weeks and it’s hard to distinguish from my SLR footage.”
But the feature I’m excited about is that GoPro can now share the action with live streaming to Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo, and even Twitch. And for the first time, you can do it directly from the GoPro app. No extra app or hardware required. Meanwhile, your GoPro saves your video footage in HD to the miniSD card as it does.
Other features of the Hero 7 Black include:
- HyperSmooth Stabilization – Gimbal-like stabilization without the gimbal
- Live Stream – Automatic sharing as you live it while saving your streamed videos to your SD card in high definition
- TimeWarp Video – Super-stabilized time lapse ‘magic carpet ride’ videos of your experiences, up to 30x speed
- SuperPhoto – Intelligent scene analyzation for professional-looking photos via automatically applied HDR, Local Tone Mapping and Multi-Frame Noise Reduction
- Portrait Mode – Native vertical-capture for easy sharing to Instagram Stories, Snapchat and more
- Enhanced Audio – Re-engineered audio captures increased dynamic range, new microphone membrane reduces unwanted vibrations during mounted situations
- Intuitive Touch Interface – 2-inch touch display with simplified user interface enables native vertical (portrait) use of camera
- Face, Smile + Scene Detection – HERO7 Black recognizes faces, expressions and scene-types to enhance automatic QuikStory edits on the GoPro app
- Short Clips – Restricts video recording to 15- or 30-second clips for faster transfer to phone, editing and sharing. Great for new users and kids.
- Photo Timer – Countdown timer for convenient selfies and group shots
- Stunning Image Quality – 4K60 video and 12MP photos
- Ultra Slo-Mo – 8x slow motion in 1080p240
- Rugged and Waterproof – Waterproof without a housing to 33ft (10m), goes everywhere your phone can’t
- Voice Control – Verbal commands let you go hands-free in 14 languages
- Auto Transfer to Phone – Your photos and videos move automatically from camera when connected to the GoPro app for on-the-go sharing
- GPS Performance Stickers – Track speed, distance and elevation, then highlight them by adding stickers to videos in the GoPro app
- Touch Zoom – Frame your photos and videos with just a touch
The $399 HERO7 Black is available for pre-order on Sept. 20 at GoPro.com. GoPro is also offering the Hero 7 Silver, and Hero7 White for $299 and $199 respectively. But neither the silver or white editions come with HyperSmooth, live streaming, and they only take 10MP stills. Shipping for all three models will start internationally beginning Sept. 27, and in the U.S. on Sept. 30.