Lawrence Kasdan To Retire From Star Wars After Han Solo Film

Han Solo about to be frozenBy Danny F. Santos (doddleNEWS)

Any Star Wars fan will tell you that Empire Strikes Back is the best film in the entire saga (although the final half of Return of the Jedi is my favorite hour). One of the things that makes Empire stand out is the screenplay, which deftly handles the sillier elements of Star Wars, with serious dramatic weight.

The architect of that script is Lawrence Kasdan, who returned to pen Star Wars: The Force Awakens and a Han Solo standalone film. According to German site Bild (via The Supernaughts), however, that will be the last film he will write for the ever-expanding Star Wars saga.

This is my last film for this saga. […] I did not even want to do this last one anymore, but my family loved the idea. […] I did four Star Wars movies. That’s more than enough. […] I want to work as director again. […]

I have mixed feelings about the idea of the writer for the best entry in the series (so far) retiring from the franchise. When JJ Abrams was attached to direct The Force Awakens, and decided to do a rewrite with Kasdan, I thought it was a wonderful idea. Michael Arndt wrote the original draft, and while I think both Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3 were fantastically written, Star Wars needs to go back to its roots for this upcoming trilogy. Bringing Kasdan in for a rewrite was a brilliant move.

On the other hand, I think something needs to be said about new blood. Rian Johnson writing and directing Episode VIII is a brilliant coup for Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm. Like I said, for this first chapter of the Star Wars saga, we need to go back to the originals, but then we need to transcend it and move beyond it. New filmmakers bringing in new ideas is essential to keep Star Wars alive and evolving. We’ll have to say goodbye to old friends and embrace new ones, both in front of and behind the cameras. But before we have to do that, at least we’ll be getting one more film out of Kasdan!

Star Wars: The Force Awakens will premiere in theaters on December 18, 2015 while the Untitled Han Solo film will open on May 25, 2018, to be co-directed by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.

About doddle 16509 Articles
Doddlenews is the news division of the Digital Production Buzz, a leading online resource for filmmakers, covering news, reviews and tutorials for the video and film industry, along with movie and TV news, and podcasting.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*