By Danny F. Santos (doddleNEWS)
Filmmakers today are surrounded by an incredible amount of tools that allow independents and mobile filmmakers to create amazing footage. Actually, let me rephrase that: Filmmakers today are surrounded by an incredible amount of inexpensive tools.
Luma Touch has created a new iOS based color correction and vfx layering software called LumaFX that’s available for just $4.99 on the iTunes Store [link]. When you take into account that DaVinci Resolve used to cost $1,000 just a few years ago (with its hardware based version going for five-figures) and is now practically free, it’s kind of a golden age for budget conscious videographers. Here’s the introduction video for the LumaFX.
LumaFX is made possible by Luma Touch’s Spry engine which includes full object model, compositing runtime with multiple effects per clip, and a large complement of fully customizable UI components for building audio/video applications. The engine is also available to be licensed by third party developers.
Here’s what LumaFX developer and Luma Touch co-founder, Terri Morgan, said about the new product:
“This App is proof that it’s no longer about whether you are a professional or a beginner in the world of video. We’ve reached a technology threshold where everyone can understand and benefit from a well-designed set of powerful and stable features.”
LumaFX is available now from the Apple App Store for $4.99. Click here to purchase it, and here are the following key features of the app:
- Style effects (such as Comic and Gloom)
- Blurs (Gaussian, Motion, Zoom, and Sharpen filters)
- Distortion effects (such as Kaleidoscope, Vortex and Circle Splash)
- Layer in any order to create an endless variety of effects
- Adjust parameters to customize your effects
Color Correction and Color Effects
- Use presets to correct for a variety of lighting problems such as florescent lights
- Create color “scenes” such as Moonlight, Summer or MiniMart!
- Apply theatrical looks such as Noir, Dream or Polaroid
- Adjust parameters to customize your color effects
Create Fast, Slow and Reverse Motion Effects
- Create slow motion/fast motion forward and reverse
- Maintain audio pitch
- Fully supports 120 and 240fps slo-mo video files and time lapse video files
- Easily crop, position and rotate with intuitive gestures
- Swiftly trim your video clips to any length
- Change the aspect ratio: portrait or landscape 16:9, 4:3 and square
- Work with any video media on your device
- Use the “Open In” feature to open compatible files from other apps
- Download media stored in iCloud Photo Library directly to the app
- View detailed information and metadata from your media
- Easily share to the Photos App, Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo, Instagram or “Other App”
- Export at a variety of resolutions and qualities
- Extract a photo of any frame in the full resolution of the video