It used to be that cinematographers would shoot with the same camera platform over the course of the careers, but thanks to the digital revolution and cameras having their own film emulsion-like character, more shooters are choosing different cameras for different projects. But if you have your own lenses, it can be a challenge. Enter Metabones, who has added a new CINE line to their Speedbooster adapters, including one that lets you use your EF lenses on your E mount rigs.
“Since the advent of the original EF to E Smart Adapter 5 years ago, Metabones has assumed a pivotal role in the mirrorless revolution. Cinematographers and photographers all over the world are armed with unprecedented flexibility of lens and camera choice. The headline feature of EF to E CINE Smart Adapter and EF to E CINE Speed Booster ULTRA is a positive-lock EF lens mount carried over from the critically acclaimed Metabones EF-FZ CINE Smart Adapter, a perfect companion to the positive-lock mount of the new Sony FS7 Mark II camera.” – Press Release
First thing you’ll notice is that Metabones has added a so-called “positive lock” collar to the Speedbooster, which allows you to lock the lens in place without having to spin it. This provides a more secure fit, and prevents accidentally dropping the lens when you don’t seat it in correctly. I like that, because I’ve dropped a lens a time or two when I wasn’t paying attention while putting it in. There’s also a built in rubber gasket to keep out dust and moisture from condensing onto the sensor and lens elements.
Metabones has also put in a through-put connection so that shooters can still engage the optical image stabilization and other camera control features. There’s also an LED status board to show when you’re lens is in either green or advanced states.
Other key features in the new Metabones line include:
- CINE models feature a new positive-lock EF lens mount. (Patent pending)
- Rubber gasket protects E-mount connection from dust and moisture.
- Compatible with Sony FS7 Mark II camera
- Status notification LED light
- Dedicated switch controls in-body image stabilization (IBIS)
- Fast contrast-detect AF on all E-mount cameras.
- Phase-detect autofocus support on A7R II, A7 II, A6300 and A6500.
- Smooth iris support with the latest Canon (2009+), Tamron (SP series 2013+) and Sigma (2016+) lenses
- Supports 5-axis in-body image stabilization of A7 II, A7R II and A7S II. (Distance information from lens required; 3-axis IBIS if lens does not transmit distance information.)
- Powered by camera body. No external power source required.
- Aperture control from camera body.
- Custom function button assignable to more than 50 functions on A7 series and A6300/A6500.
- High performance 32-bit processor and efficient switched-mode power supply.
- Supports image stabilization (IS) lenses.
- Supports electronic manual focusing (e.g. EF 85/1.2L II and discontinued EF 50/1.0L)
- EXIF support (focal length, aperture, zoom range)
- Distance and zoom display on VG and FS series camcorders, A7 series and A6300/A6500 (lens with distance information support required).
- Auto magnify (lens with distance information support required)
- Auto “APS-C Size Capture” on full-frame cameras.
Optical (Speed Booster models only) /Mechanical Features
- Increase maximum aperture by 1 stop.
- Increase MTF.
- Makes lens 0.71x wider.
- Advanced 5-element/4-group optical design incorporating ultra-high index tantalum-based optical glass by Caldwell Photographic in the USA
- Felt material flocked inside the opening to reduce internal reflection.
- The tripod foot is detachable and compatible with Arca Swiss, Markins, and Photo Clam ball heads.
Additionally, the Metabones CINE Speed Booster will also come in these versions:
- Canon EF-E mount T CINE Speed Booster ULTRA Suggested Retail Price $699
- Canon EF-E mount T CINE Smart Adapter Suggested Retail Price $449
- Canon EF-E mount T Speed Booster ULTRA II Availability and Suggested Retail Price TBD
- Canon EF-E mount T Smart Adapter Availability and Suggested Retail Price TBD
Metabones will begin shipping the fifth generation EF/EF-S Lens to Sony E Mount T CINE Smart Adapter in February for $449, though B&H currently has it for pre-order with an expected shipping date of March. Your mileage may vary.
I love my Metabones Speedbooster, giving me the ability to use my Canon EF lenses on my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. That way I can bring both the Pocket Cinema Camera and my Canon DSLR with me, and they can share the same lenses. I can’t wait to see how the CINE line performs.
Check out Metabones’ website for more information.