By James DeRuvo (doddleNEWS)
Designed for what JVC calls “enhanced, single camera production,” the 4K GY-HM250U provides news centric lower thirds and full screen titling for recorded and streamed video output without the need of an external video switcher. The camera links to a tablet or smartphone via WiFi and users then navigate to the camera through their mobile browser to customize and enable the graphics package, and then stream live to the internet. The benefit here is that the graphics feature is platform neutral, so users can customize it on either iOS or Android.
JVC also allows users to customize graphics by uploading up to 50 JPG or PNG graphics such as logos, icons, or event text based titles like lyrics or readings. Graphics can also be made full screen, switching from the video image, and advanced either manually or with preprogrammed user defined timing.
Other features include:
- Single 1/2.3-inch CMOS image sensor with
- 12.4 million pixels
- High quality integrated 12x F1.2-3.5 zoom lens (35mm equivalent: 29.6-355mm)
- Lower-third and full-screen titling solutions for recorded or streamed video
- Zero Config conﬁguration capability
- Tele-macro mode provides better focus on close objects
- Dynamic Zoom in HD mode maps pixels to create seamless and lossless 24x zoom
- 4K Ultra HD recording (150 Mbps, 24/30p) to dual SDXC (UHS-I Speed class3) card
- 4:2:2 recording at 4K/30p and 4K/24p
- Full HD (24-60p) recording at 50Mbps
- Live 4K UHD output via HDMI connector
- 4K Ultra HD recording (70 Mbps, 24/30p) to SDXC/SDHC(Class 10) cards
- 120fps HD recording
- Highlight display priority
- 3G-SDI output for HD
- HDMI output for UHD/HD
- 2-channel XLR audio inputs with phantom power
- Built-in stereo microphone
- Advanced JVC streaming engine compatible with
- RTMP, Zixi and Wowza Streaming Engines*
- IP Network Remote Control, Remote Viewing,
- Metadata editing, FTP clips*
- 3.5-inch color LCD display (920K pixel) and
- 0.24-inch color viewﬁnder (1.56M pixel) with smart focus assist function
- Histogram Display
- Includes handle unit and SSL-JVC50 7.4V battery,
- AC Adapter
That makes the GY-HM250U ideal not only for local news gathering and live sports productions, but also for smaller churches and other organizations looking to take their events to the next level with multi media without having to invest in tens of thousands of dollars in switches and other broadcast or streaming equipment.
JVC also has announced a sports edition of the GY-HM250 which offers score overlays for sports including football, basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer and volleyball. The score overlays can be placed anywhere on the screen through a mobile device and the WiFi connection, or automatically via Sportscast Scorebot when wirelessly connected to the internet.
Lastly, JVC has a stripped down model, dubbed the GY-HM180, which leaves out the built in graphics, titling, or streaming capability. The GY-HM250U has an MSRP of $2,245, the GY-HM250SP has an MSRP of $2,595, and the GY-HM180U an MSRP of $1,795. All three models are available now. Check it out at JVC’s Pro site here.
The democratization of news gathering with broadcast quality video and graphics is really giving local sports, news, and even worship centers the polished, professional look of a broadcast studio truck, and doing it without sacrificing image quality. It’s a great time to be an independent.