A multipurpose digital tool kit for fine tuning and simulating your RED camera rig, RED Tools comes with a host of cool utilities including Crop Factor, Recording Time, Flicker-Free Video, Depth of Field, Panning Speed and Exposure.
RED Tools ver. 2.0.0 breaks down as follows:
- Through Crop Factor, users can insert the focal length of the lens they are using on their RED, as well as the sensor size and get a preview of what the image will look like before even rolling a frame of video.
- Recording time enables the camera operator to input based on data rate and card type, so you can determine just how much recordable media to stock up on for the day’s shooting schedule.
- Flicker-free video lets you dial in the shutter speed and frame rate in order to keep your video image flicker free under any lighting conditions.
- Depth of Field calculator – Preview a shot and see what the depth of field will do with any aperture and lens combination.
- Panning Speed – test your panning speed in advance, so you can avoid nasty pronounced juddering. “The goal is to provide a more accessible tool than the charts and tables commonly referenced in cinematography manuals,” RED states. “It uses the standard rule of thumb that camera panning should not cause objects to transit the entire horizontal extent of an image in any less than seven seconds.”
- Adjust other camera settings when your exposure settings have to be changed according to lighting conditions. Example usage scenarios include when a higher frame rate needs to be used for slow motion, when the T-stop has to change for depth of field, or when the shutter angle has to change to minimize flickering in artificial light.
But the new version also offers a new light and dark mode, to adjust viewing based on your current lighting conditions. The App also supports 11 different languages, including English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, Italian, German, French, Netherlands, Portugese, Russian.