Ridley Scott Talks Sequel To Alien: Covenant, Prometheus, and Alien 5

28-Alien-Covenant.w1200.h630By Danny F. Santos (doddleNEWS)

Alien: Covenant is just around the corner, but like any good franchise, we’re already wondering about the next installment. Ridley Scott has already previously told Fandango that not only is there one more sequel in the works, but a further four films waiting after the sequel to Covenant.

Five films seems like a lot of movies, but it appears the director is stepping back from those words. In an interview with Yahoo UK, he reveals how many Alien movies he still plans on making. Here’s what he told the outlet:

“I don’t know. [I’ll make] maybe two more [films], or maybe one more, I don’t know.[…]

“I’ll probably be filming [the next one] within a year. It’ll be out within a year and nine months. It’s weird when you’re writing, doing, planning, thinking about franchises, it’s amazing how it opens up and starts to evolve.”

Scott spoke a bit more about the conception of Alien: Covenant, and how the response to Prometheus influenced that. Back before the first prequel came out, Scott was pretty adamant that he wasn’t interested in following the xenomorph any more. Obviously, that changed, and here’s why, according to the director:

“What changed was the reaction to Prometheus, which was a pretty good ground zero reaction. It went straight up there, and we discovered from it that [the fans] were really frustrated. They wanted to see more of the original [monster] and I thought he was definitely cooked, with an orange in his mouth. So I thought: ‘Wow, OK, I’m wrong’.

“The fans, in a funny kind of way – they’re not the final word – but they are the reflection of your doubts about something, and then you realize ‘I was wrong’ or ‘I was right.’ I think that’s where it comes in. I think you’re not sensible if you don’t actually take [the fans’ reaction] into account.”

Finally, in an interview with IGN, Scott once again spoke about Neill Blomkamp’s now defunct Alien 5 film. Here’s what he told the outlet:

“They wanted to do Alien, er, Awakening – Neill Blomkamp. I said fine. I was going to be the producer. If I could have, I would have. Except I do question – why have both [Blomkamp’s Alien and Scott’s Alien] out there? It seems like shooting your big toe off – it doesn’t make sense.

“But they didn’t go forward with it, Fox, so I just kind of kept out of it. I mean, I’d literally ignited this thing [Prometheus, Alien: Covenant] to bring it off the ground again, because it was lying there dormant on a shelf. I had this thing to bring it back up – but here we are.”

Interestingly, the name Alien: Awakening was what Scott said his next Alien film would be called. It’s unclear whether he forgot what the title of Blomkamp’s film was, or that they just appropriated the title for the next prequel.

This isn’t the first time that Scott has spoken about Fox passing on Blomkamp’s Alien 5. We’ve previously reported on it, and I suspected that Scott being uninterested in it may have influenced the production being canned. From the director’s remarks here, I’m starting to think that’s more and more likely to be the case.

Alien: Covenant will premiere in theaters on May 19, 2017. Here’s the official synopsis for the film:

The path to paradise begins in hell. Ridley Scott returns to the universe he created, with ALIEN: COVENANT, a new chapter in his groundbreaking ALIEN franchise. The crew of the colony ship Covenant, bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world. When they uncover a threat beyond their imagination, they must attempt a harrowing escape.

About doddle 16507 Articles
Doddlenews is the news division of the Digital Production Buzz, a leading online resource for filmmakers, covering news, reviews and tutorials for the video and film industry, along with movie and TV news, and podcasting.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*