If you’re a one-man-band (one-woman-band), a wireless audio system can be helpful for you, because you don’t have to wrangle cables while shooting. But not all wireless mics are created equal, as I learned with a recent review. But Sennheiser has announced a new wireless audio system which not only promises to provide great audio performance, but do it at just about any budget.
Designed for plug and record operation with fully self-configuring operation, the AVX Camera-Mountable Handheld Wireless Set from Sennheiser consists of their EKP receiver and AVX-835 handheld microphone transmitter. The system provides a variety of automatic functionality aimed at flexibility and speed. – Sennheiser AVX Product Description
The AVX Digital Wireless System is designed with the entry-level filmmaker or videographer in mind, with a design that’s easy to use, easy to pair, and sets up in seconds. Looking at the commercial above, you gotta love Sennheiser’s wit. It really does grab your attention, and you know a mile away how it’s going to end up, but you still laugh at the punchline.
But what’s important is that it shows just how quick it easy it is to set up. The AVX system comes with a microphone and receiver powered rechargeable lithium Ion batteries with a rated battery life of 10 hours on the receiver, 5 hours on mic, but it will automatically turns off when your camera does to save on battery power. You can also hot swap out the battery and repair in seconds.
The receiver has an XLR input, but also comes with an adapter cable so it can plug directly into any camera’s external mini-jack mic input, and you can also use it with a mobile device. Broadcasting License free at 1.9GHz range, the AVX has a range of about 150 feet. Utilizing link protection, the AVX will automatically channel hop to find a better frequency should interference of band congestion start to creep in. This will maintain the quality of the recording at its optimum before any interference becomes audible.
- EKP XLR Receiver
- AVX-835 Handheld Mic Transmitter
- Plug and Record Functionality
- Automatic Sensitivity Adjustment
- Receiver Switches On/Off Via 48V
- AES 256-bit Encryption
- Metal Housing
Price breakdowns on the AVX are as follows:
- Sennheiser BA 10 Rechargeable Battery Pack (for Mic): $50
- Sennheiser BA 30 Rechargeable Battery Pack (for Transmitter): $50
- Sennheiser AVX Bodypack Transmitter: $350
- Sennheiser AVX Handheld Microphone Transmitter: $460
- Sennheiser AVX EKP Camera Plug-On Wireless Receiver: $500
- Sennheiser AVX Camera-Mountable Lavalier Wireless Set (ME2 Lavalier): $900
- Sennheiser AVX Camera-Mountable Handheld Wireless Set: $900
- Sennheiser AVX Camera-Mountable Lavalier Pro Wireless Set (MKE2 Lavalier): $1,050
- Sennheiser AVX Camera-Mountable Combo Wireless Set: $1,300
In the box you get:
- AVX EKP Camera Plug-On Wireless Receiver (CH 8: 1920 to 1930 MHz)
- BA 20 Energy Pack
- XLR to 1/8″ (3.5 mm) DSLR Adapter Cable
- Light Shoe Mount
- Belt Clip
- USB Cable
- USB Charger
- Limited 2-Year Warranty
- AVX Handheld Microphone Transmitter (CH 8: 1920 to 1930 MHz)
- BA 10 Energy Pack
- MMD 835 Microphone Head
- Microphone Clamp
- Limited 2-Year Warranty
I do like that you can pay about $400 more and get not only the XLR microphone attachment, but also get a lav mic and wireless body pack for an additional $400. That gives you a lot of interview options.
Find out more at Sennheiser’s website.
Hat Tip – NFS