One of the biggest pains in post-production that is rarely talked about is transcriptions. I’ve had to do my share of it, and it is not fun at best, and mind numbing at worst. A company called Digital Heaven created a piece of software called SpeedScriber, which is a godsend for those of us who are stuck with that kind of work.
Now the company has released a version that supports Avid Media Composer after previously launching a service based around Apple’s Final Cut Pro X last November. The cloud-based service is still currently in beta. Here is what Digital Haven has to say about their product:
“Documentary filmmakers, journalists, audio and video producers all depend on reliable transcripts of their files, whether it be an interview for editing purposes or a text version of the finished product. While there are numerous web-based transcription services on the market, they generally offer turnaround times of 24 hours or more. SpeedScriber provides affordable and high-accuracy automated transcripts delivered in real-time or faster (a 60 minute file is typically transcribed in less than 10 minutes).”
The service promises to be between 90% and 99% accurate, but it should be stressed that the product isn’t perfect. Some care should be taken to go over the material afterwards.
SpeedScriber is currently available for Final Cut Pro X and Avid Media Composer, on Macs running OS X 10.10 Yosemite or later. Digital Heaven is also developing a version of their service for Adobe Premiere Pro. To learn more or sign up for the beta, head on over to SpeedScriber.com.
Beta testers will get 30 minutes of free transcription time, and can purchase additional minutes for $0.50/minute, with a minimum purchase of 30 minutes and volume discounts. This service looks like something that would benefit journalists, the documentary market, and corporate productions.
Here are the highlights of ScreenScriber’s features:
- Get transcripts in real-time or faster, not hours or days.
- Uses industry-leading automatic speech recognition technology for high-accuracy transcripts (typically 90-99% accurate for good quality recordings of English speakers).
- Supports English language speakers with American, Australian or British accents and detection of different speakers plus capitalisation and punctuation.
- Automatic timestamps at regular intervals.
- Unique tools for quickly making speaker, word and punctuation corrections to transcripts.
- Print or export transcripts to PDF, .srt (for captioning), Final Cut Pro X and Avid Media Composer. Integration with Adobe Premiere Pro is in development.